The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode #133
Tired of the bartender life? There are so many great career options that leverage your bar skills – here are a few to get you started!
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
You’ve got options! If you love the hospitality industry but you’re just doneworking behind the bar, you’re in luck: there are lots of other jobs out there that leverage your skills. This week we’re going over a few good options.
Jobs we Mentioned:
Private Event Bartender
OK, so technically a private event bartender is still behind the bar. But it’s not quite the same and may be a good option for you! Here’s the video Chris made ages ago about what he brings when bartending private gigs, and here are several articles we’ve published since then on the topic. If you’re interested in going this direction, these resources are a great start!
- How to get your first Private Bartending Gig
- 10 Things to Ask a Potential Private Event Client
- Useful Equipment to Have on Hand for your Next Private Event Gig
- Private Bartending Dress Code: What to wear to a private party gig
- How to Bartend an Outdoor Party
- How to Bartend Large Parties – On your Own
No surprise here! It’s fairly common for sales reps to be former bartenders. If you’re up for it, it can be a really great job. You might find this podcast episode useful!
Perhaps the most prestigious role on this list, but also one of the most taxing. If you’re considering going this route, definitely watch / listen to this interview with Trevor Schneider, the Brand Ambassador for Reyka Vodka.
Mixologist for a local Distributor
This one’s a bit obscure, but if you can swing it, it’s a pretty sweet gig!
One of the more common career paths for elite bartenders and experienced managers / owners, consulting is a great way to leverage your skills and still keep your ear to the ground on what’s happening in the industry.
If this path appeals to you, definitely listen to Chris’ interview with matthew Seigel to hear about how he made the jump from bartender to consultant. And you might also like this interview with John Pomeroy, Jr. about his career path to becoming a sustainability consultant.
While less common, this is perhaps one of the most fulfilling directions you can go. It’s also probably the most work! We were so inspired by these stories that we did a whole podcast series – these are definitely worth a listen:
Here’s one you don’t hear very often. With the blossoming tech industry offering more and more software solutions to the hospitality industry, there’s growing demand for experienced hospitality folks to help them build great products, sell them to bars / restaurants, and support them. If you are very familiar with a particular platform or product, why not reach out to the company and see if they are hiring? You could be an incredible asset to their team, and you’ll probably work 9-5!
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
What other jobs are out there for former bartenders? Got ideas we missed? Let us know in the comments!