It’s that time of the month again – MxMo time!
This topic is near and dear to my heart – it’s the first cocktail I recommend folks learn, and it’s one of my personal favorites.
Special thanks to to Andrea of Ginhound for hosting MxMo this month with the topic: Sours!
Last month I did awful things to Green Chartreuse, so this month I thought I’d rebuild my drink karma by fixing up a cocktail that’s gained a bad reputation: the Lemon Drop. We’re taking it back to our childhood with ground up lemon drop candy, then growing back up again with lemon thyme and oleo saccharum. Love me some nostalgia!
New and Improved Lemon Drop
This is the "traditional" Lemon Drop Cocktail taken to a whole new level - with Thyme Oleo Saccharum and ground up Lemon Drop candies on the rim.Print Pin Rate
- 3/4 oz Gin
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- 1/2 oz Oleo Saccharum
- 3/4 oz Lemon-infused Vodka
- 1 handful Ground up lemon drop candies with lemon thyme leaves mixed in
- 10 Lemons (Zest only)
- 750 ml Vodka
Lemon and Thyme Oleo Saccharum
- 4 Lemons (Zest only)
- 10 sprigs Fresh Tyme (leaves removed and stems discarded)
- 1 cup sugar
- Mix together the first four ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake
- Rim a coupe glass with the lemon drop candy / lemon thyme mixture
- Fine-strain the cocktail into the prepared glass
- Zest the lemons, trying to pick up as little of the white pith as possible.
- Place all zest in the infusion container
- Fill with spirits, ensuring that all lemon zest is submerged.
- Let infuse for a couple days, up to a week in a cool, dry place. Taste daily and fine-strain out the lemon zest when it reaches the level of infusion that tastes good to you.
Lemon Thyme Oleo Saccharum
- Put all of the listed ingredients into a Vacuum seal bag and vacuum-seal it.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours, until all of the sugar appears "wet"