Once More with the Honeydew
Armed with loads of Orange Honeydew Syrup from the Tequila Melon Julep we made a few weeks ago, it just made sense to play with it a bit more before sacrificing to the Gods of the Kitchen Sink.
This week’s cocktail is an attempt to make a simple Whiskey Sour variation, pairing the melon with whiskey to see if it’d play as nicely with a brown spirit as it did with the Tequila.
SAFE, SIMPLE AND TASTY
The resulting cocktail is very good. I wouldn’t say it’s taking many risks – no bitterness, no strong herbal qualities, and no advanced palate required. But it’s a tasty drink that’s likely to please just about anyone. And that works pretty well for me!
Whiskey Melon Sour
- 1 Cocktail Picks to create a pattern in the bitters
- 2 oz Rye We used Dickel
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Orange Honeydew Syrup
- 3/4 oz Egg White
- 7 drops Peychaud's Bitters
Orange Honeydew Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup Melon juice See Instructions for how to prepare
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- Add all ingredients except bitters to a cocktail shaker without ice.
- Dry shake.
- Add ice and shake again to incorporate and chill.
- Strain into a coupe or Martini glass.
Orange Honeydew Syrup Instructions
- If starting from a fresh melon, liquify it in a blender and strain through a fine strainer.
- Add ⅔ cup of sugar to 1 cup of the melon juice.
- Stir to dissolve.