You know how it is…
You make a batch of specialty syrup for a specific cocktail, then use 3-4 ounces and the rest goes in the fridge. Then, (if you’re like us) you stare at it for a few weeks (with the intention of using it in more cocktails, of course) until it’s really way beyond safe to use. Then you guiltily toss it down the sink. Sigh.
It’s the circle of syrup life – and it happens ALL the time around here.
NOT THIS TIME!
This week we are breathing new life into the Honeydew Orange Syrup we made for the Batida Mishap – and tossing it in a cup with tequila and lime for a refreshing summer Julep.
This is admittedly an extremely simple cocktail – but leveraging a tasty syrup we’d already made. The result is delicious, summery and bright. It’s also dangerously easy to drink – so maybe this time we’ll actually finish our Melon syrup before it goes funky!
Tequila Melon Julep
- 2 oz Blanco Tequila I used Patron Roca
- 1/2 oz Orange Honeydew Syrup
- 15 ea Mint Leaves
Orange Honeydew Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup Melon juice See Instructions for how to prepare
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- In a julep cup or rocks glass, add 10 mint leaves and muddle slightly.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Top with crushed ice cubes.
- Stir to chill and dilute.
- Add additional ice if needed.
- Garnish with the remaining mint leaves.
Orange Honeydew Syrup Instructions
- If starting from a fresh melon, liquify it in a blender and strain through a fine strainer.
- Add ⅔ cup of sugar to 1 cup of the melon juice
- Stir to dissolve.