Once more with the Peach Syrup
We’re (still) absolutely buried in peaches. I’ll be honest, making peach syrup is really not going to take a dent out of your peach harvest – this syrup recipe only used one peach and was probably enough for a dozen cocktails. But that certainly didn’t stop us from trying!
…. FRUIT BUT NOT “FRUITY”
This Cocktail is fruity – but not overpoweringly so. It pairs the fruit in the syrup with the subtle fruity undertones in Unicum Next for a nicely rounded flavor, held up by the maltiness in the Genever as well. It’s refreshing but not overly “bright” – I would say very balanced.
Give this cocktail a try if you’re looking for something inspired by fruit but not “fruity”. It’s a nice mix of approachable but multi-layered, with the Unicum contributing a beautiful touch of bitterness and layer of spice.
Old World Swizzle
- 2 oz Genever Gin Oude We used Bols.
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Peach Syrup
- 1/4 oz Unicum Next
- 1-2 oz Soda Water
Peach Syrup Ingredients
- 1 ea Peach
- 1 cup Sugar Equal weight to the peach
- Add the Genever, lemon juice and peach syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Add 1 oz of soda water to a Collins glass.
- Strain the shaken cocktail mixture into the glass.
- Fill with crushed ice.
- Top with Unicum and (optionally) garnish with a lemon twist.
Peach Syrup Instructions
- Chop peach into 1” pieces and remove the pit.
- Add sugar and stir well.
- Macerate for 2-4 hours.
- Strain and chill.