Smokey, Smokey Goodness
As I promised on Monday, today’s cocktail is a simple variation on a classic Bloody Mary – but it is a good one! If you haven’t guessed already from the cocktail’s name, this Bloody Mary is made with mezcal instead of vodka.
It’s a perfect choice for a savory cocktail, especially if you’re considering garnishing with other smoked components. (Smoked bacon anyone?) It’d also be a great choice for a barbecue brunch or, frankly, any old barbecue!
This cocktail is also very amenable to pre-batching, so you could absolutely be “that” uncle who brings a large quantity of cocktails to the next family gathering. (We don’t judge.) I do recommend attempting the chili powder rim it at all possible – it really reinforces the smokey qualities of the mezcal while bringing additional heat to the drink.
Hey there, good lookin’ –
See those swanky cocktail picks in the cocktail picture above, and in the photo below? We made those! And we just released them on Amazon last week.
In honor of their launch, I’ve dropped the price temporarily – so if you’d like to add some extra long stainless steel picks to your garnish repertoire, now is definitely the time. (Also: what do you think? Pretty fancy eh?)
So grab your cocktail picks now and get to garnishing! Then scroll down and make this awesome mezcal version of the Bloody Mary.
- 1.5 oz Mezcal Del Maguey Vida
- 4 oz Tomato Juice
- 3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 dashes Hot Sauce Tapatio
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Horseradish
- 1/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 each olive
- 1 each Pickled onion
- 1 each Celery stock
- Salt, pepper, celery salt and chili powder rim
- 4 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Celery salt
- Wet the rim of a collins or highball glass with lemon juice
- Garnish glass with salt mixture and set aside
- In a cheater tin or pint glass add Mezcal, salt, pepper, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tomato juice and hot sauce.
- Add ice and shake to dilute and chill
- Add ice to the garnish collins or highball glass
- Strain cocktail into the glass
- Garnish with celery stalk. Olive and pickled onion
- Add all ingredients to a small container and mix thoroughly