Chris created this Egg Nog recipe for a restaurant where he was working three years ago – and has been talking about it ever since. Somehow, in the years since then, I never got the chance to give it a try.
So when we were chatting about our favorite Cream cocktails while recording this Wednesday’s Podcast, I made Chris promise to finally make his famous Egg Nog this year. I have to admit – it’s just as good as the stories! It’s very rich but not overpoweringly sweet. He uses quite a bit of milk to reduce the thickness and make it more drinkable, and I think he’s found just the right balance.
Homemade Spiced Egg Nog
Take a look at that!
Yes, it does taste as amazing as it looks. If you have fresh nutmeg available, definitely don’t skip the freshly grated nutmeg garnish – it adds an incredible aroma that’s worth the extra step.
- 6 each Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 cups 2% Milk
- 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
- 1 oz Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Spiced Rum See Recipe Notes
- 1 pod Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until well incorporated.
- Add milk, cream and vanilla extract and stir until well incorporated.
- Add spiced rum to taste, and stir to incorporate.
- Add freshly grated nutmeg and stir.
- Pour contents into a glass jar and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Serving the Egg Nog
- Add the eggnog to a decorative bowl and stir before serving. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.