The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Forty Four
Eggs are an important and delicious cocktail ingredient. Here’s why, how to use them, and how to do it safely!
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
It’s only a couple of days until Easter, and in the USA that means hard boiled eggs will be everywhere! But before you boil all of your eggs, consider saving a couple to use in your cocktails. Here’s why and how!
Egg Nog is a drink that uses the whole egg – it’s one of the oldest types of mixed drinks and goes way back to the middle ages in England. Advocaat is sometimes called “Dutch Egg Nog” and similarly uses a whole egg.
No Yolk, Just White:
Nowadays, it’s much more common to see only the egg white used in cocktails – not really the yolk. That’s probably because yolks are so rich and heavy, they may prevent the egg whites from “frothing”.
So… Why Egg Whites?
- They create a light foam and makes your drink look great.
- They add body and a smooth, velvety texture to you cocktail.
- Egg Whites can “calm down” a strong acid or alcohol flavor.
There are two key factors when using egg whites safely: freshness and cleanliness. If you’re using very fresh eggs, keeping them clean, and storing them properly, you should’t run into any issues. That said, here are a couple great videos that will explain more.
Stuff we Mentioned:
- Here’s a link to the brand of powdered egg whites we like to use. Note: Sorry I couldn’t find a smaller quantity!
- Here’s an article about why folks in the USA have to refrigerate our eggs, when Europeans don’t.
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
Do you use powdered egg whites in cocktails? What about whole eggs? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below!