Cocktail making is an art, and if you want to perfect your skills, then you need to start with the basics. Cocktail shakers are a vital piece of barware for any budding mixologist. Here are 5 things you should know about one of the main styles, Boston shakers.
Boston Shakers Include Two Pieces
A Boston shaker consists of two cups: the main container and the lid, a smaller cup resembling the first. The main container is where you put your ingredients, and the lid is used to mix them together. Both are typically made from stainless steel, although there are some versions made from glass and other materials as well.
Boston Shakers Are Easy To Clean
Boston shakers are easy to clean and require minimal effort. Here is a step-by-step guide to cleaning one:
- Fill the shaker with warm water, and a few drops of dish soap.
- Place the lid on top, and shake it vigorously to mix the ingredients.
- Remove the lid, and rinse out any remaining soap.
- Dry both pieces thoroughly with a clean cloth or paper towel.
You can also put your Boston shaker in the dishwasher if they are dishwasher safe.
Boston Shakers Are Easy To Use
Boston shakers are easy to use. All you have to do is fill the main container with your ingredients, place the lid on top, and shake it until all of the ingredients are combined. Make sure to hold the shaker with both hands and shake with a rolling motion to ensure that all of the ingredients are properly mixed.
Boston Shakers Are Versatile
Boston shakers aren’t just for cocktails like Margaritas, Mojitos, and Whiskey Sours. They can also be used for making other, non-alcoholic drinks, such as mocktails. All you have to do is fill the main container with your ingredients, place the lid on top, and shake until everything is combined. Boston shakers come in a range of sizes; the most common sizes are 12-ounces, 16-ounces, and 32-ounces.
A Good Boston Shaker Should Be Durable
It’s obviously important that you buy a durable Boston shaker made from high-quality materials. A stainless steel Boston shaker will be sturdy and durable enough to last for years. Make sure that the seal between the two pieces is tight and secure so your drinks won’t leak out while you shake them. Also, look for a shaker that is easy to grip and comfortable to hold.
Bar Tools To Get With Boston Shaker
In addition to a Boston shaker, there are a few other barware tools you should consider investing in. These include:
- Jigger – used for making accurate measurements for cocktails
- Mixing Glass – a container that can be used to mix spirit-forward cocktails that should not be shaken
- Bar Spoon – used for stirring drinks
- Muddler – used to mash fruit & herbs together in the bottom of a glass
- Bar Mat – helps keep your bar area organized & clean
- Cocktail Strainer – used to strain out ice & other ingredients before pouring a drink.
With these tools in your barware arsenal, you’ll be able to make the perfect cocktail every time. You can find all of them at our shop, including the best Boston shaker you’ll ever find!