Cocktail jiggers are a must-have for any cocktail lover. But what exactly are they? What’s the reason they were created? And why are they so important today? Below, we’ll answer all of your questions about them! We’ll explain what they are, their history, and how to use them. Plus, we’ll give you 5 things to know about cocktail jiggers that will make you a pro in no time.
What Are Cocktail Jiggers?
Cocktail jiggers are small cups or scoops that are used to measure the amount of liquor you need for a drink. They can be made from a variety of materials. One popular type is the Japanese jigger, which is designed specifically to be more comfortable in your hand when making different cocktail recipes.
The Creation of the Cocktail Jigger
The origin of the cocktail jigger dates back to the 19th century. It’s believed that it was invented by a man named William Bullock, who patented the first design in 1873. The original invention included two cylindrical cups of different sizes attached at their bases. It allowed bartenders to measure liquid ingredients precisely and pour them straight into glasses without spilling. The bar jigger was created to provide bartenders with the ability to measure and pour precise amounts of alcohol into each drink. Not only is it important for consistent drink flavors, but it’s also a crucial way to prevent serving drinks that are too strong or too weak.
Types of Jiggers
There are several different types of jiggers, including the popular double-sided jigger, small-tapered cone jigger, accordion-style jigger, bell jigger, and even creative shapes such as footballs or skulls. Double-sided jiggers are the most common because they usually provide two measurements in on cup.
How Do You Use Cocktail Jiggers?
Once you have one, simply pour the cocktail ingredients into the jigger and use the markings on the side of the cup to measure exactly how much of each cocktail ingredient you need. You can then pour the cocktail ingredients into your cocktail shaker or glass of choice, stir or shake to mix them together, and finally strain them into a cocktail glass.
5 Things To Know About Cocktail Jiggers:
- Jiggers are an essential bar tool for any cocktail lover, as they help you measure cocktail ingredients accurately and consistently. They also give you more control over the flavor profile of your cocktail, allowing you to experiment and create new cocktail recipes more accurately.
- There are many different types, including Japanese jiggers, which have markings for a 1:1 ratio of ingredients and are perfect for cocktail recipes that require precise measurements, such as cocktail recipes that call for “1 part gin, 1 part vermouth” or 0.25 ounce of lemon juice.
- It can be made from a variety of materials, including stainless steel, glass, and plastic. This makes them durable and easy to clean after each use. They also come in a range of sizes, so you can choose one that suits your cocktail-making needs.
- In addition to measuring cocktail ingredients, cocktail jiggers can also be used to create beautifully layered cocktails. Just use the jigger to carefully pour your cocktail liquids into the glass one at a time in order of their density! One example can be cocktail recipes that call for “whiskey, then orange juice, and top it off with grenadine.” This technique is easier when paired with a bar spoon.
- To get the most out of your jiggers, be sure to take good care of them and clean them thoroughly after each use. This will help prevent any buildup or residue on the jigger and prolong its lifespan.
Whether you’re a cocktail novice or an experienced cocktail connoisseur, cocktail jiggers are a must-have for creating delicious and perfectly proportioned cocktails every time. So be sure to add them to your cocktail toolkit today!