The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Sixty Three
Got a crowd? Serve a punch! Here are some great ideas for tasty punches to please a crowd at your holiday gathering.
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
It’s all about punch! The drink, that is …
What’s a punch?
As far as we know there is no “standard rule” for what this means. So we googled it. According to Wikipedia it’s a very broad term that usually involves some sort of fruit or fruit juice, but almost always is served in a “punch bowl”.
So we’re going to go with that: anything that can be served in a punch bowl.
The good news is, most things that can be served in a punch bowl are also MADE in a punch bowl. They are super easy to mix and easier to serve – so punches are a great beverage idea for large gatherings of any kind. (Especially because guests serve themselves so you don’t have to bartend all night!)
- Hot Apple Cider: Starts out tasty, but make it tastier by spiking it with rye whiskey, brandy or calvados. (Brandy is probably the most often added.)
- Hot Chocolate: usually you see people adding Peppermint schnapps but you could try brandy, spiced rum, or other flavored liqueurs like Kahluah or a triple sec.
Bring on the Booze!
- Hot Buttered rum
- Hot Toddy
A Few Ideas:
- Cranberry and apple
- Think spices
- Add sparkles
- Oleo saccharum
Tips for Good Punch’in (the drink, that is)
- Watch your sweetness. Using fruit juice as a base is a very easy way to end up with a sickly sweet drink. Pare back the sweetness with soda water or lemon / lime.
- Just Add Water. If you’re scaling up a recipe designed for one cocktail, don’t forget to add water to the recipe. Cocktail recipes usually assume 20% water will be added during stirring or shaking, so if you’re building the drink in a punch bowl, add some water to achieve the right mix.
- Speaking of ice, what I usually do is chill down the drink in the fridge well before serving, to help minimize dilution in the bowl. Then put the chilled drink in the punch bowl and add a large block of ice to keep it cold throughout the party.
- Go to town on the garnish! Use fresh fruit, spices, cinnamon sticks, and rubber duckies – really, have fun. Be careful with non-edible garnishes (like rubber duckies) to avoid choking hazards or dental bills.
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
Do you have any other punch recipes that you would like to share? Let us know in the comments below!