The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Thirty Two
It’s getting easier to find unusual “craft” cocktails nowadays, but there are a lot of great drinks that are underrated and hard to find. Here are some of our favorites!
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
We’re bringing back some of great cocktails that have either fallen out of popularity – or never got the attention they deserved.
A signature cocktail of Wimbledon and is just an all-around great drink. It is made with:
- 2 oz Pimm’s #1
- 1/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- Ginger Ale
- and typically garnished with Cucumber
The Negroni is not unknown within the cocktail community, but the general public is definitely still missing out!
3. Sherry Cobbler
It’s an awesome drink that doesn’t get its share of much needed attention. Recently we’ve been noticing there are a lot of bars and restaurants that have started to uss sherry in their cocktails. Here’s a great classic drink that takes advantage of Sherry’s flexibility (and affordability!)
- Muddle 2-3 pieces of fruit (like Orange slices) in a glass with 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Add Sherry and Ice and Shake.
- Strain into a Collins glass with crushed ice
- Garnish with Fruit and (traditionally) mint.
4. Brandy Crusta
This is quite possibly the least appetizing cocktail name that I’ve ever heard – and it definitely doesnt’ do the drink justice. Back before prohibition, the Crusta was an extremely popular kind of drink – even more so than the “Cocktail.”
- 2 oz Cognac
- 1 tsp Orance Curacao
- 1/2 tsp fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 dash Angostura Bitters
Rim a wine glass with sugar, and peel the lemon in such a way as to create a very large and wide peel. Combine all remaining ingredients in a shaker, shake, strain into the glass. Arrange the lemon peel around the inside of the glass, so it rises above the rim.
5. The Last Word
Apparently when Murray Stenson from the Zig Zag Cafe in Seattle started serving the Last Word cocktail, folks caught on quickly and it’s stirred a bit of a revival for this cocktail. A Last Word is made with ¾ oz each of gin, lime juice, maraschino liqueur and green chartreuse.
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
What did we miss? Are there any drinks that you think are under-appreciated? Let us know in the comments!