National Tequila Day is right around the corner on July 24th, so we thought it was a good time to introduce you to your new favorite tequila drinks! While we love a good ol’ classic Margarita recipe (arguably the best-known tequila cocktail, of course), let’s explore beyond the obvious cocktail choice this year, shall we?
What is Tequila?
If you’re not super familiar with the tequila spirit, don’t worry! In short, it’s a Mexican spirit from the blue agave plant; and yes, to be authentic, the tequila distillery must be located in Mexico. There are a few different types of this alcohol, from the unaged Blanco (or silver) tequila to aged tequila: Tequila Reposado (aged in oak barrels up to 2 months), Añejo (aged up to 1 year), and Super Añejo (aged up to 3 years).
Hopefully the delicious drinks listed below will leave you with a true appreciation of tequila; but if you’re really interested in trying various categories of tequila and finding your favorite, local tequila tastings are the perfect opportunity to try a variety of styles and to explore the rich tastes & complexity of this beloved alcohol.
And while it may be tempting to just go out and grab a bottle of Jose Cuervo on the 24th, we encourage you to branch out and try some artisanal tequilas, too!
Tequila Cocktail Recipes
We’ve paired with Pink House Alchemy— a company that creates mixers and bitters with zero alcohol content– to bring you three unique, delicious tequila cocktail recipes that any tequila lover is sure to appreciate.
(Note that we’ve used Blanco/silver tequila throughout these recipes, but you can of course experiment with various types of tequila to suit your personal tastes.)
OK, let’s go make some amazing drinks!
The Salty Dog Cocktail
This mixed drink utilizes a pre-made simple syrup with botanical flavors that balances out the kick of tequila– the perfect alcoholic drink for a hot summer day.
- 2 ounces Blanco Tequila (Casamigos)
- 1 ounce Pink House Alchemy Herbalicious Syrup
- 3 ounces Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- Topo Chico Sparkling Water
- Optional: Fresh Crack of Salt
- Optional: Grapefruit Twist & Fresh Mint or Rosemary
- Combine syrup and grapefruit juice in a salt-rimmed glass with ice, and stir.
- Top with Topo Chico and a big crack of salt, if desired.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice and rosemary sprig or fresh mint leaves.
Brazilian Frozen Margarita
With its delicious combination of cardamom & tequila base, this three-ingredient drink provides the complexity of slightly spicy flavors mixed with the sweet taste of the milk, despite its relatively simple ingredients. This frozen cocktail is an unexpected twist on an original Margarita– and note that this instant modern classic recipe will make about 4 refreshing cocktails.
- 3 Fresh Lime Wedges (quartered, for garnish)
- 1/4 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/3 cup Pink House Alchemy Cardamom Syrup
- 8 ounces Silver Tequila
- Blend together all liquid ingredients with ice cubes until you reach a rich, frothy texture.
- Pour into highball glass, and garnish with lime dusted in cinnamon.
Ginger Spice & Everything Nice
The combination of tequila with Pink House Alchemy’s pre-made shrubs, egg white, and grapefruit flavor makes a wonderfully smooth tequila sour.
- 1.5 ounces Pink House Alchemy Ginger Shrub
- .5 ounces Pink House Alchemy Ginger Syrup
- 2 ounces Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- 2 ounces Casamigos Tequila (Blanco)
- 1 Egg White
- Soda water
- Dry shake the egg white in a cocktail shaker for about 20 seconds.
- Add shrub, syrup, tequila, and grapefruit juice to the shaker with ice.
- Shake to chill & dilute.
- Double strain into a rocks glass with ice, and top with a splash of club soda.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
So how are you celebrating National Tequila Day? (Hopefully with a proper cocktail and not just a shot of tequila… But hey, we don’t judge!) Let us know in the comments what you think of these classy drink recipes– or if you prefer a classic tequila cocktail instead.
And of course, if you’re looking for classic cocktail recipes, you can’t go wrong with these:
- Classic Margarita
- Raspberry Thyme Margarita
- Skinny Margarita
- Paloma Cocktail (with grapefruit soda)
- Cadillac Margarita (I recommend it with a splash of orange juice)