Behind the Scenes:
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Our Bar:
- The bar you see in our videos is actually in my house – in my living room, to be specific. (Yes, Julia let me do this!)
- I built the bar myself over the course of about 9 months. It’s made with cabinet-grade plywood and a Walnut veneer
- The inspiration for this shape came from a bar we got for free on Craigslist – but sadly that one was too badly damaged to keep.
- The front part of the bar is made up of three separate cabinets. One has a Fridge, one stores the bucket that goes under the sink, and the third is for storage.
- On the left (from your perspective) is a shelf and storage area that is unfinished – but a great place for me to put my side-light when filming.
- Take a look at the pictures below – notice anything about that back wall? Yep, there’s a window there! (And yes, it’s still there!)
- The Bookcase / Wine Rack is one of my favorite parts of the bar, and gives me a nice shelf to feature my favorite decanters and mini-barrels
- There’s a brick fireplace on the left side, and the brick on the back-bar was chosen to match. Believe it or not, that brick is actually just wallpaper, not brick at all!
- I’ve installed a strip of LED lights on all of the shelves and around the inside of the bookshelf and glass cabinet. It adds a great atmosphere and adds some light to those places that would normally look too shadowy and dark.
- I still have quite a bit of finishing work to do – if you look closely in the videos you can see quite a bit of wood that’s not veneered with Walnut yet. It’s only been two years, I’m sure I’ll get to it soon!
The Secrets are Out!
So now you know the truth – the bar is far from perfect, but it’s something that I’m really proud of. I hope maybe today’s tour will inspire a couple folks out there to make a bar of their own – knowing that it really doesn’t have to be perfect to look pretty darn good!
What About You?
Do you have a home bar? I would love to hear about it and / or see pictures! Share in the comments below