Dry January… not for us! Rather than completely cutting out cocktails in pursuit of your New Years’ Resolutions, we thought we’d explore another very common January Omission: Sugar.
We’re kicking off “No Sugar Month” with a cocktail that’s perfectly acceptable to all low carb diets. Keto friendly, this cocktail has virtually zero carbs whatsoever.
Thirsty? Click here to skip to the recipe!
Spirit + Soda
This is one of the simplest mixed drinks that you can prepare. It is as easy as it sounds: simply add a spirit to a glass filled with ice and top with soda water. Since most distilled spirits have no sugar, (unless added later, ahem), this could be a great option to cut out some of your daily sugar and still have something refreshing to enjoy.
Whiskey and soda is one of the most common spirit + soda combinations, but everything is fair game. In this cocktail I used Johhny Walker Black, as it’s one of my favorites paired with soda water.
Mix it up:
Experimenting with different whiskeys is a great way to try new flavors without introducing sugars or carbs. Blended, Bourbon, Canadian, and Rye Whiskies all work very well, so it’s a great experiment for whatever you have on hand!
Looking to mix things up a bit more? Here’s some inspiration:
- Spritz Citrus oils across the top – lemon, orange, bergamot, etc
- Replace your soda water with one of those fancy La Croix sodas, (pick a flavor, let us know your favorite!)
- Splash of citrus juice – Lime and lemon are both carb-free
- Fresh herbs would work as well. Try muddling mint or rosemary.
- Consider adding extracts line vanilla or your trusty cocktail bitters too.
You can really get creative with dressing up your simple spirit & soda and have fun with this drink!
This jigger has one job and it does it well. Measure your ingredients perfectly every time, then toss it in the dishwasher. It’s durable and built to keep up, even when you’re deep in the weeds!
- 2 oz Whiskey I used Johnny Walker Black
- 4 oz Sparkling Water
- Add Whiskey to a highball glass with ice
- Top with sparkling water
- Add whiskey to a highball glass with ice. Top with sparkling water.