Indecision at its Finest
Inspired by a “Tea Toddy” competition from Maker’s Mark (and supplied with Bourbon, tea and a props!) this week’s cocktail is actually… two cocktails. We were asked to put together a “Tea Toddy” using Harney & Sons Holiday Tea. Chris was torn – should he create a hot cocktail like a traditional Toddy, or have some fun with it to see if he could make a cold variation?
Well, he decided to make both! The recipe you’ll see at the bottom of this post is for the cold version – but the hot version uses the same Tea-infused Maker’s Mark and (also tea infused) Simple syrup.
With the exception of the egg white, both cocktails use the same ingredients, just in different proportions. And, of course, one is hot!
THE RESULT IS TWO GREAT – AND VERY DIFFERENT – COCKTAILS.
The cold drink is reminiscent of a Whiskey Sour, with the spice from the tea coming through nicely to balance out the flavor.
The hot drink is reminiscent of a Hot Toddy (no surprise there) but the heat really accentuates the “tea” – bringing out the aromatics nicely in the steam. Adding the lemon wheel also highlights the “tea” nature of the drink and adds a bright citrus aroma.
Want to make the “Hot” Version?
Here’s the recipe:
- 3/4 oz Tea-Infused Maker’s Mark (See recipe below)
- 1/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Holiday Tea Simple Syrup (See recipe below)
- 4 oz Hot Water
Add all ingredients in a hot cocktail glass and stir. Serve hot and garnish with a lemon wheel.
- 1 1/2 oz Tea Infused Maker's Mark
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Holiday Tea Simple Syrup
- 3/4 oz Egg Whites
- 7 drops Peychaud's Bitters
Tea Infused Maker’s Mark
- 1 Bag Holiday Tea by Harney & Sons
- 4 oz Maker’s Mark Bourbon
Holiday Tea Simple Syrup
- 6 oz Hot Water
- 2 Bags Holiday Tea by Harney & Sons
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Barley Syrup (You can use maple syrup if you don't have Barley Syrup)
- Combine infused Maker’s Mark, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg whites in a shaker. Dry shake.
- Add ice and shake once again.
- Fine-strain into a cocktail glass.
- Decorate with 7 drops of Peychaud’s Bitters. Drag a toothpick through the bitters to resemble a snowflake.
Tea Infused Maker's Mark
- Add all ingredients and stir well.
- Steep the tea bags for 15 minutes, then remove and discard.
Holiday Tea Simple Syrup
- Add two bags of tea to 6 oz of hot water.
- Steep tea for 15 minutes, then remove tea bags and discard.
- Add white sugar and barley syrup. Mix well.
- Cool completely before using.