A Turning Point
The Revolver was a turning point for Chris in his career. This simple cocktail was the first “Manhattan Variation” that Chris ever had – and we had it on a date at Bourbon & Branch in San Francisco. Tasting this variation on the classic helped show Chris what was possible and stoked his interest in creating his own cocktails and learning Mixology for himself.
This drink is incredibly simple but balanced and delicious. You can taste all of the ingredients, but none are overpowering. It’s a great first step if you’re starting to think outside the “classic” cocktail but want an easy recipe to try.
- 2 oz Bourbon (I used Bulleitt)
- 1/2 oz Coffee Liqueur (I used Molinari)
- 2 dashes Orange Bitters (I used Fee Brothers Barrel Aged Orange Biggers)
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir well
- Fine strain into a cocktail glass
- Garnish with an orange twist
Another good Manhattan is the Fanciulli:
1oz sweet vermouth
1/4oz Fernet Branca
But my favorite goes like this:
1oz Punt e Mes
dash Angostura bitters
dash orange bitters