A distant cousin of The Last Word, this cocktail swaps the Chartreuse for absinthe and the Maraschino for Amaro Montenegro, and tops it all off with soda water for good measure. (Can you believe I actually removed chartreuse from a cocktail? I mean really…)
This one’s really all about the absinthe – the anise comes through very nicely, held up by the herbal qualities of the Amaro Montenegro and rounded out by the soda water at the end. Alongside the lime juice, that makes for a balanced, refreshing and earthy drink. (Something that’s definitely right up my alley!)
The name is a play on “Last Word” and the idea of keeping it quiet – after all, real absinthe was only available in the USA since 2007!
Mum’s the Word
- 1/2 oz Absinthe Lucid Absinthe Superieure
- 3/4 oz London Dry Gin Tanqueray
- 3/4 oz Amaro Montenegro
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 2 oz Soda Water
- Add first four ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Strain into a Collins glass.
- Add Soda water.
- Fill with ice.
- (Optional) garnish with a lime wheel.