Going Old School
This week we’re going old school – this cocktail is straight out of Jerry Thomas’ Bartenders Guide and is about as classic as it gets. We’ve taken one liberty with the recipe – using sugar instead of Orgeat / Gum Syrup – but the result was still dead-on delicious.
It’s a bit funny to see Jerry call for “Holland Gin” – a term that’s fairly rarely used today. But we happened to have some trusty Diep9 Young Genever on the shelf and it worked really nicely.
We don’t often make cocktails using standard recipes, but this one is definitely a winner!
- 1 Standard Bar Spoons optional
- 1.5 tsp White Sugar
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (I used Luxardo)
- 1 1/2 oz Genever (I used Diep9 Young Genever)
- 4-6 oz Sparkling Water
- Fill cocktail shaker one-third full with shaved ice and add all ingredients above.
- Shake well and strain into a large cocktail glass.
- Fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water