This gorgeous cocktail was sent to us by Gitanjali Budhrani, an entrepreneur and consultant from Bangalore who had created as her final exam for the Mixology Certification. I just loved the presentation and photos that I asked if she’d mind if we could share it here on the blog. Thank you again Gitanjali for letting us feature your cocktail!
I asked her to talk a little bit about her inspiration for the cocktail:
“Cardamom and Ginger is a great combination, giving the cocktail a great flavour profile whilst adding a little heat. We add Cardamom and ginger to our Chai in India, that’s our secret ingredient.”
She found the drink was quite flavorful and decided to balance it out with egg whites:
“Added ½ oz egg white to the final recipe to balance the drink as the drink has quite a few flavourful components. This was to round off the cocktail and make the flavours come together.”
She chose a coupe glass because, the “coupe is pretty. The wide mouth of the coupe will enhance the smell of the cardamom and ginger. Holding the stem rather than the glass directly helps keep the cocktail chilled longer.”
And last but absolutely not least, her choice of garnish: the candied ginger. She explained that Ginger fit the name of the cocktail, highlighted the ginger component within the cocktail, and also added a modern twist to a classic flavor combination. (Plus, if I may add, it looks absolutely stunning!)
- 1 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin
- 1/2 oz Cardamom Tincture
- 1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Ginger Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- 1/2 oz Egg White
Cardamom Tincture Ingredients
- 1 cup Cardamom Pods
- 5 cups Vodka
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker, without ice. Dry shake.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake again until chilled.
- Fine-strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with candied ginger.
Cardamom Tincture Instructions
- Lightly roast the cardamom pods in a pan on low heat on the stove for a few minutes until they start to get a slight brownish color.
- Crush pods lightly in a mortar and pestle to break open a few pods and expose the seeds.
- Place all cardamom pods and vodka in an airtight jar and store in a cool, dark place.
- Shake once a day for 10 days.
- At the end of 10 days, fine-strain into another glass bottle and store.