It’s National Whiskey Month!
What better way to celebrate than with an awesome Old Fashioned cocktail. The good folks at Four Roses sent us a bottle to fuel our celebrations, and this cocktail is the result. By the way, are you curious about the difference between Bourbon and Rye whiskey? This recipe was featured in our “Bourbon vs Rye” post here!
This recipe takes a bit more time, with the Cinnamon Nutmeg syrup, but I think you’ll find it’s worth it. The combination of the syrup and Jerry Thomas’ bitters really results in a fantastic spiced drink. Consider making it a double – I have a feeling this drink will disappear quickly!
Four Roses Old Fashioned
- 2 oz Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon
- 0.5 oz Cinnamon and Nutmeg Turbinado Syrup
- 3 dashes Jerry Thomas Bitters by The Bitter Truth
- 1 piece Orange peel / Zest
Cinnamon and Nutmeg Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Turbinado Sugar
- 1 stick Cinnamon Crushed, not Grated
- 1/4 piece Fresh nutmeg Use a piece, not grated nutmeg
To make the Cocktail:
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir until chilled and properly diluted, about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks or bucket glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with fresh orange oil and the orange peel.
To Make the Cinnamon and Nutmeg Turbinado Syrup
- Heat water and sugar to a light simmer
- Add crushed cinnamon stick and quarter piece of Nutmeg.
- Allow the syrup to simmer very lightly for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Filter out the cinnamon and nutmeg when cooled.