Spring Forward, Falling Back
Depending where you live, it may feel like the very beginning of fall or maybe even the beginning of winter. Here in the San Francisco bay area, we’ve just turned back the clocks with the end of Daylight Saving’s Time, and suddenly it feels like the seasons have changed overnight. It is getting dark so early!
But with the changing of the seasons comes the one of the best parts of the fall / winter season: fall flavors. For me, that’s apple and pear and ginger, spices like cloves, nutmeg and allspice. When your chilled cocktail tastes oh so warming.
Warm & Welcoming
I’m not sure it gets more “fall” than this. Made with apples and cognac with ginger and mixed with egg whites to add that beautiful creamy texture. It’s as warming and welcoming as the light on your front stoop when you get home after dark. (Even if it’s only 5pm! Sigh…)
If you’re looking for something “safe” – an easy drinker that still feels like the right thing for the season… well, this is it. By the way – if you’re not a big fan of absinthe you can skip the spritz at the end but (if I may), I think it really adds a great layer of aroma which plays beautifully alongside the cognac and ginger.
Don’t take it from me – give it a try! And definitely let us know what you think.
- 1.5 oz Brandy I used CAMUS VS Cognac
- .5 OZ Ginger Liqueur Barrow’s Intense
- .75 oz Lemon Juice
- 1.25 Oz Homemade Apple Puree
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
- .75 os Egg White
- 2 spritz Absinthe I used Lucid
- 1 each Apple Honey Crisp
- 4 Tsp sugar
- Add all ingredients except absinthe to a boston shaker
- Dry shake to build up egg white foam
- Add ice and shake to dilute and chill
- Double strain into a coupe glass
- Garnish with Angostura Bitters and drag a pick through drops to make a fun design
- Add spritz of absinthe
- Add apple and sugar to a blender
- Puree until smooth