Quick: Choose three random flavors!
Usually when creating a cocktail you start with flavors. What flavors go well together? How can I adapt that into a drink? This one’s a bit different. Instead of starting with flavors that “go well” together, Chris took a risk and went the other direction.
Pairing Tumeric, Tawny port and Curry… well, it sounds like a “choose three random flavors” game, not a cocktail recipe! But (much to my amazement) this one really worked.
Port of Call
Somewhere between Portugal and India, Chris thought he’d tip his hat to the trade route – hence the name “Calicut Sour”. Calicut is the port in India that commonly used to connect Port (in Portugal) and India trade routes.
Tumeric is a common ingredient in curry, so it seemed a natural choice. But Port? Chris found it added a sweet raisin note to the drink, rounding out the flavor with a cooked fruit element. It really ties the drink together into a balanced, very savory style of drink.
And the Curry Salt Rim? Well…. why not?
- 1.5 oz Tumeric Cordial Von Humboldt's Turmeric Cordial
- .50 oz Tawny port Hardy’s Whiskers Blake Tawny Port
- .75 oz Lemon Juice
- .50 oz Simple Syrup
- 1.75 tsp Curry Salt For Garnish
- .25 tsp Ground curry powder
- 1.5 tsp Kosher Salt
- Add all ingredints into a cheater tin with ice
- Shake to chill and dilute
- Rim a rocks glass with curry salt
- Fill rimmed glass with crushed ice
- Fine strain cocktail into rimmed glass and enjoy
- Mix curry powder and salt and set aside for rimming a rocks glass