Old Fashioned with a Fruity Twist
This is a very simple variation on the classic Old Fashioned cocktail. We’ve simply swapped in a blackberry syrup and added cinnamon tincture to add flavor and spice. It’s not an overly fruity drink – it’s well rounded and the blackberry pairs nicely with the whiskey and cinnamon.
I’d probably suggest this one as more of a “fall” drink (but who am I kidding – I’d drink this anytime!)
- 2.0 oz Bourbon Makers Mark
- .50 oz Blackberry Syrup
- 2 dashes Cinnamon Tincture
- 2 dashes Bitters Angostura
Blackberry Syrup Ingredients
- 280 Grams Blackberries
- 200 Grams Sugar
- 150 Grams Water
Cinnamon Tincture Ingredients
- 2 sticks Cinnamon
- 8 oz High Proof Spirit I used Wild Turkey 101
- Combine all ingredients in a bucket glass.
- Add a large ice cube.
- Stir to chill and dilute.
- Garnish with a lemon twist or fresh blackberry.
Blackberry Syrup Instructions
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to a low boil.
- Muddle blackberries (I used a potato masher).
- Reduce syrup by 1/3.
- Fine strain syrup.
- Allow to cool before use.
Cinnamon Tincture Instructions
- Combine both ingredients in a glass air tight jar.
- Allow to steep for at least 2 weeks.
- Fine strain mixture before use.