This Month’s theme for Mixology Monday (in case you haven’t guessed from the image above) is fire! Thank you Feu de Vie for the idea, and for hosting!
Here’s our contribution – the delicious “Apple of Discord” cocktail. It’s a take on a “sour”, but incorporates Pisco, fresh Granny Smith apple juice and a blowtorch – how do you top that?
An extra thanks to Feu de Vie for hosting and for the excuse to break out the blowtorch! I had a lot of fun with this one, and look forward to seeing all of the other great contributions as well.
You may have noticed this MxMo post is a few days early – we’ve decided to do MxMo contributions in addition to our regular Monday posts. So definitely come back Monday – this week we’re trying something new, and I think you’ll like it!
As always, check out the resources below, leave a comment and let us know what you think!
One extra tip – if attempting this at home, please be sure you soak the stick you’re holding the apple with before you brulee the apple. If not, you run the risk of setting it on fire as well – not good!
- 2 oz Pisco (I used Torontel)
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Fresh Granny Smith Apple Juice
- 1/2 oz Hard Spice Simple Syrup (See recipe below)
- 3/4 oz Egg White
- 1 ea Granny Smith Apple for Garnish
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Hard Spice Simple Syrup
- 8 oz Simple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Clove
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker.
- Dry shake briefly to mix the ingredients, then add ice or a blender ball and shake thoroughly.
- Strain and serve into a coupe glass.
Create the Garnish
- Soak a toothpick in water. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- With a melon-baller, cut a ball of apple out of the Granny Smith Apple, then skewer with your soaked toothpick.
- Roll the ball of apple in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat.
- With a brulee torch, carefully brulee the apple until the sugar has fully carmelized. Be careful not to set the toothpick (or your fingers!) on fire!
- Place the brulee'd apple (still on the toothpick) across the top of your coupe glass and serve.
Hard Spice Syrup
- Bring Rich Simple Syrup to a light boil.
- Add the spices listed.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, strain through a fine strainer.