The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Fifty Seven
Networking isn’t just for corporate jobs – here’s why it’s important for bartenders and how to do it well in the world of hospitality.
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
Most people think that networking is just stuffy corporate events, its just as important to folks outside the “corporate” world – especially bartenders trying to make their way in the world of hospitality.
Why it’s worth doing:
- The hospitality community is small and very well connected.
- It creates job prospects, friendships and builds your community.
- It’s a great way to learn about what’s happening in your market, or meet potential future business partners.
- It’s also a great way to learn about upcoming competitions, events, or free tastings.
How to do it:
- Your co-workers: Get to know them and be nice – don’t burn any bridges!
- Your vendors: They know everyone in your market
- Your regulars: Don’t forget the customers.
- Industry Bars: Go out after work!
- USBG / IBA or other industry organizations
- Events, competitions and conferences
- Farmer’s Markets (This one’s only for the morning people!)
- In Chris’ experience the bar community is very large and well connected on Facebook. “Friending” someone you’ve met is a good way to stay on their radar and see where their career takes them. Also lets you see the local gossip and what’s happening in your market.
- Get Business Cards made – for yourself, not your bar. This is an easy way to give out your contact information.
- Got friends moving to new places? Go for a visit! This is a great way to show support and stay connected.
Listen in to Learn:
- Why to network
- How to Network
- Tips for networking well
Stuff we Mentioned:
- Connect with us on Facebook! – A Bar Above Facebook Page
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
What have we missed? Let us know your best hospitality networking tips in the comments!