The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Fifty Five
Cocktail competitions are a great way to kickstart your career as a bartender. Here’s a discussion about what they are, how to find them and how to win!
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
We’re talking about cocktail competitions: something relatively new to the world of craft cocktails and mixology. These events range from local charity affairs to massive multi-tiered global competitions. For the big ones, a win can change the course of your bar career forever.
How Large Competitions Work:
Large spirit companies who host competitions do it because it’s a great way to generate massive publicity, encourage hundreds of bartenders to try their products and to see what innovative and interesting things that competitors do with their products. It’s a huge win-win: the brand gets global publicity, the semi-finalists usually get an all-expenses-paid trip to the Global finals (which are usually held somewhere glamorous) and the winner takes home a big prize and a lot of publicity.
How to Win:
Yes, having a great cocktail and solid skills are important. But with the tough competition out there nowadays, you need more than that. First and foremost, you need to think about the competition through the eyes of the brand.
- Follow the rules of the competition.
- Understand how the judges will be judging you
- Make the brand look good
- Practice ad prepare
- Be likeable but professional
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Then click “View in iTunes” under the Podcast Image on the left and enter your rating on the “Ratings and Reviews” tab in iTunes.
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
Have you entered any large competitions? What did you learn along the way? Let us know in the comments!