The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Sixteen
Why do so few great cocktails use Tequila? This week we’re giving Tequila some time in the limelight! (Yes, pun intended.)
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
Last week, Chris and I stayed in the Mayan Riviera in Mexico. Being there, of course needed to try out some drinks with the most famous Mexican spirit – Tequila!
At the bar, I asked Chris to shed some light on what I should order. He suggested the usual: there’s the Margarita, a Tequila Sunrise perhaps, and a drink I have never heard of called the “Paloma”. But that was it! Even though tequila is an incredibly versatile spirit, it seems like it’s been relegated to just a couple of drink recipes.
Today we’re going to swap Tequila into some other great recipes to give you a couple more great Tequila drink options
Check out these 5 recipes that uses tequila instead of the “usual” ingredients!
- 2 oz Blanco / Silver Tequila
- 5 oz Tonic Water
- 1 lime Wedge
Pour the Tequila and the tonic water into a highball glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with the lime wedge.
- Celery Salt
- 2 oz Blanco / Silver Tequila
- 4 oz Tomato Juice
- 2 dashes of Tobasco Sauce
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper (or to taste)
- Lime Wedge
- Celery Stalk
Rim a highball glass with celery salt and fill with ice. Add all cocktail ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake. Strain into the prepared glass and garnish with the lime wedge and celery stalk.
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 2 oz Tequila
- 4 to 6 oz Ginger Beer
Squeeze lime juice into a Collins glass and drop in the spent shell. Add 2 or 3 ice cubes, then pour in the tequila and fill with cold ginger beer.
- 3/4 ounce Tequila
- 3/4 ounce Lime Juice
- 3/4 ounce Green Chartreuse
- 3/4 ounce Maraschino Liqueur
Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- 1 1/2 oz Reposado or Anejo Tequila
- 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- Brandied Cherry
- Orange Twist
Combine the Tequila, Vermouth & Bitters in a mixing glass with ice. Stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a brandied cherry and orange twist.
When switching Tequila into other drinks, make sure you try to choose a type of Tequila that’s seen a similar amount of time in barrels. For example, when replacing Gin we chose Blanco Tequila since neither has spent any time in barrels.
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
What are other “usual” recipes that you have tried using tequila? Let us know!