The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode Eleven
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to a fancy cocktail bar and found the cocktail menu absolutely indecipherable. Today we’re talking about what to order in a cocktail bar (or any bar for that matter) so you’re always prepared!
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
We’re talking about what you should order in a cocktail bar. When you walk into an unfamiliar place it can sometimes be difficult to know what to order. Here are a couple hints to help make sure you’ll get something you’ll like!
Know a Few Standbys
In general, it’s good to have 2-3 cocktails that you know you like. Choose common cocktails and it’s a safe bet that the bartender will have heard of it. A Margarita or Moscow Mule are good examples. Another good standby is something crazy simple like a “Rum and Coke.” It’s not going to be the best cocktail you’ve ever had, but it probably won’t be the worst! Finally, there’s nothing wrong with ordering a beer or house wine. It’s always a safe bet that it’ll be drinkable, and probably not bad at all!
You can usually get a lot of information about “what’s good here” from taking a look around. Look for cues like:
- Is everyone in the whole place drinking beer? Get a beer.
- Is the environment high-end and the cocktails priced high for the area? You’ll probably get a good drink off their cocktail menu.
- If you see a lot of people drinking the same thing, it might be a house specialty – give it a try!
Ask the Bartender
If the place isn’t too busy, you can always go ahead and ask the bartender what he/she recommends. When you do, expect to get a couple questions like:
- What spirits do you like? (Gin? Vodka? Bourbon?)
- What do you feel like? (Something light? Bubbly? Spirit focused?)
Come prepared with a few thoughts on what you feel like and the bartender will probably be able to help you find something great. Again, judge your environment before attempting – if it’s a beer bar, the bartender might be annoyed if you ask him for a bespoke cocktail!
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!
Thanks for Listening!
We’ll be back next week with another episode all about some of our favorite cocktail books, so stick around!