The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode #142
Foams, spherification and pH… this week’s episode dives deep into the world of molecular gastronomy with the head chef from Modernist Pantry. It’s getting nerdy in here!
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode, I finally get to ask some burning questions I have about nerdy mixology.
But first, I’ll let Scott introduce himself:
I am a Certified Executive Chef with 14 years of foodservice experience. Early on I remember watching my Great Aunt and Grandmother make home made pasta and gnocchi. As cliche as it sounds that’s what made me want to cook. From there I watched cooking shows with my father and cooked with him. Around 11 years old I decided I wanted to pursue a career as a Chef. I attended a culinary program at a technical high school and went on to study at Atlantic Culinary Academy in Dover NH. Once I graduated I worked around New England learning from as many chefs as possible. Until I landed a job as a Chef Instructor at Le Cordon Bleu Boston. From there I found a dream job where I could continue to educate myself as well as others at Modernist Pantry. I continue to work with these modern ingredients to find new and inventive ways to turn ordinary dishes into memorable experiences.
And my own take: Scott is the head Chef at Modernist Pantry, a grocery store for the nerdiest molecular gastronomy ingredients you can get your hands on. That means he’s skilled in the techniques you only find at the most “mixology” of bars (or obscurest Instagram accounts.) As someone with a secret love for all of the crazy molecular gastronomy techniques, I was thrilled to have a chance to chat!
Watch and Learn:
- How Scott found his way into the world of Molecular Gastronomy and eventually to his position as Head Chef
- Tips, techniques and troubleshooting for: foams, spherification, reverse spherification, etc.
- What Scott sees happening in the world of Molecular Gastronomy right now (and in the future)
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!