This post may contain affiliate links. Check out this disclosure for more info. Thanks for your support!
The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode #155
The modern craft bar isn’t all glitz and glamour. Bartending comes with its dark side as well. This week we’re chatting with Justyn Myers to discuss the grittier side of bartending and what he’s learned from hosting a show all about it.
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
We’re chatting with bartender Justyn Myers about the sometimes dark reality of bartending.
We ran into Justyn at a local Podcast meetup in San Francisco and were immediately intrigued. Not only was he also podcasting about bartending, but he had a gritty, “real” take on the whole thing: his focus was on unveiling the harder parts of bartending and helping bartenders navigate them.
A bit more about Justyn:
Justyn Myers is a working bartender and journalist, currently based in San Francisco. Myers studied journalism in college and began bartending in 2012, first for catering companies and pop up events, and then later for The Interval. Myers currently does cocktail menu development and wine and spirit selection for The Interval and High Treason, where he works behind the bar as well.
Unable to find good resources and advice after experiencing many of the industry’s challenges, seeing many of his colleagues burn out, Myers decided to start the You’re 86 podcast to share the knowledge and experience of industry veterans and help make the industry better for everyone.
In this Episode…
We talked to Justyn about what he’s learned about bartenders navigating a lot of tough parts of the job. We touched on all of the following topics:
- Bar injuries and how to fix them (Episode 2: Ouch! Bar injuries and how to fix them, With Julie Kunz and Andrew Campbell)
- Cutting off Guests who’ve had too much (Episode 4: You’ve had enough for tonight- With Andrew Meltzer)
- Alcoholism & Bartending (Episode 12: Our complicated relationship with booze – With Mark Goodwin)
- And even tough topics like sexual assault (Episode 3: Living with rape and violence at the bar – With Nate Olson)
As you can see, Justyn does not shy away from the harder conversations! Definitely listen in to our chat with him for some of his key lessons learned, or check out his own podcast for the full takeaways.
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!