Equiano Rum’s Intereseting Narrative Cocktail Competition
Hey, cocktail lovers! Whether you’re a pro bartender with years of experience servicing customers, or a passionate at-home-bartender (a hometender, if I may) practicing your favorite craft, your skills are worthy of appreciation! And Equiano, the world’s first brand of African and Caribbean rum, knows it, which is why they’re holding a very special competition to crown this year’s greatest bartenders and hometenders! The prizes (different for each category) are quite amazing, and winning is all about telling the best story with your cocktail. So get your shakers ready, and let’s get mixing!
This challenge is catered towards those who have worked, or still work, professionally within the bar community.
The challenge is to create a cocktail inspired by Africa and the Caribbean, whether it’s in the name of the cocktail, the ingredients used, the method in which it’s made, the story behind its creation, who or what inspired it, or any mix of these elements.
- Participants will submit their registration form with their information and the cocktail they’re presenting. You can register right here. Registrations will CLOSE on April 30th, 2022.
- The Equiano team will evaluate several aspects of the cocktail, based only on its description, recipe, and picture. You can learn more about the evaluation process on the competition page.
- In May 2022, 5 finalists will be chosen to compete in the grand final.
The grand final will be physically held in London on June 13th, 2022. International finalists won’t need to travel all the way to the venue for the final, they’ll just need to be present preparing their cocktail on a Zoom call or through a video. Finalists who happen to be in London around the time of the final can be present at the venue, and their accommodations will be taken care of. All finalist cocktails will be recreated at the venue and tasted by the judges for their final verdict.
The panel of judges will include Equiano Rum’s Ian Burrell, Sandrae Lawrence from The Cocktail Lovers, Sly Augustin from Trailer Happiness, and Monica Berg from Tayér + Elementary.
1st Prize: £2,000
2nd Prize: £1,000
3rd Prize: £500
4th & 5th prize: £250
The winner will also be featured in Equiano’s International Cocktail book. They will be promoted through Equiano’s PR channels, and their cocktail will be listed in some of the world’s best bars.
- Obtain Equiano Rum and create a cocktail around it, sticking to the African/Caribbean narrative. (P.S. there’s a discount code if you purchase here!)
- Submit the participation form before April 30th, 2022.
The winner will win an all-expenses-paid evening at one of the best bars in the winner’s country. Bartenders will make the winning cocktail (as well as some of the best participant cocktails) at the party for everyone to enjoy! How cool is that?!
Additionally, 10 selected cocktails posted by bartenders using hashtag #EquianoCompetition and tagging @equianorum, will also be featured in the Equiano’s International Cocktail Book. They will also receive a complimentary bottle of Equiano every month, for a whole year!
So what are you waiting for? Head on over to the following link to learn more and show off your skills! Good luck!