Let’s Celebrate Mardi Gras!
It’s Fat Tuesday, and I’m super excited, even if I’m not in New Orleans for the big day. In the spirit of celebration (I’m only half-sorry for my terrible puns), Chris made a Hurricane, one of the most famous New Orleans cocktails. Ready for the recipe?
Click here to get the party in full swing.
Of course, we have a lot of cocktail options to make in honor of Mardi Gras: The Sazerac, Vieux Carre, and (for our fellow super nerds) the Frozen Irish Coffee from Erin Rose. But there’s a reason the Hurricane is perhaps the most famous of all: this tart, fragrant, and refreshing alcoholic drink is an absolute classic.
The mixture of rums brings a deep, smoky taste from the dark rum and an additional alcohol boost from the overproof rum. Combined with the fragrance and flavor from the passion fruit, this cocktail can definitely sneak up on you! If you are looking for something fresher than the premixed bottle of Pat O’Briens Hurricane mix, give this recipe a try. Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!
- 1 oz Dark rum (We used Myers)
- 1 oz White rum (We used Plantation 3 Stars)
- .5 oz Overproof rum (We used Wray and Nephews)
- .75 oz Fresh lime juice
- .75 oz Orange juice
- .5 oz Fresh passion fruit puree
- .5 oz Simple syrup
- 1 bar spoon Grenadine
Make the Passion Fruit Puree:
- Split open the passion fruit and scoop out the pulp and seeds.
- Remove seeds and squeeze gently into a cheesecloth to extract any extra juice.
- Add the pulp and juice from the passion fruit to a blender.
- Add 3 tsp of sugar to the blender.
- Puree until the mixture is smooth.
- Fine strain before serving.
The ultimate workhorse of a Boston Shaker. This combination of weighted / unweighted makes for a strong seal that’s easy to break open. The weight is circle-welded for durability and guaranteed to last!
I might be biased, but I’m pretty sure this is the BEST Hawthorne Strainer money can buy. We designed it for comfort, speed, and durability. Seriously, it’s the best. And now it’s available with a beautiful mirrored Copper finish!
This jigger has one job and it does it well. Measure your ingredients perfectly every time. It’s beautiful in copper and durable enough to keep up, even when you’re deep in the weeds!