The Mixology Talk Podcast, Episode #144
What’s new in booze? We went to the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco to Find out! Here are the key trends and most interesting new products we found.
Click here to Subscribe on your Smartphone and never miss an Episode!
On your iPhone:
- Look for the iPhone’s default “Podcasts App”. It may already be there, or you may need to download it. It looks like this:
- In the app, click “Search” in the bottom-right corner and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast“
- Click on the icon under the “Podcasts” section, and in the next screen click the purple “Subscribe” button.
If you prefer, you can also subscribe using the “Stitcher” app, also free & available in the App store.
On your Android Phone:
- Download the “Stitcher” app from the Play store by searching for “Stitcher”
- Click on the “Search” icon and search for “Mixology Talk Podcast
- Click “+” to add the show to your Playlist.
In today’s Episode…
We’re taking the show on the road! Well, ish.
Last week Chris and I had the opportunity to head to downtown San Francisco and attend the annual Winter Fancy Food Show. Now the primary focus of the show is just what it sounds like: food. But there are usually some interesting beverage related items too, which is why we went!
Definitely watch the episode for more detail and some of the products and brands we discussed. For a brief overview, here ya go:
- Mixers: As with past years, this year we saw a bunch of pre-made cocktail mixes.
- Tonics: Flavored tonic? Is that a thing? It is now! We saw SO many flavored tonics in every variety, I was really surprised. (Some brands featured a dozen + different tonics in their own lineup!) And I must say, the quality was top notch.
- Waters: Move over, La Croix, there are new fancy flavored waters in town! While these probably won’t make their way to your cocktail menu, I wouldn’t be surprised if your customers might start asking for them. Something to consider offering on the menu, perhaps?
- Brines & Vinegars: Shrubs and drinking vinegars were all over the show this year, with everything from pickle juice to crazy toni
Chris’ Favorite Product: “Fairy Dust” Absinthe Syrup by Nickle Dime Cocktail Syrups
An absinthe flavored syrup? yes please! This syrup brought all of the lovely fennel, anise and wormwood flavors without the alcohol. It definitely has great promise for non (or low) ABV menu options!
When they handed me a scoop of powder, I was skeptical. But the flavor was phenomenal! No fakey “Jolly Rancher” apple flavor here. I’m very excited to experiment with their Apple flour and a huge variety of other powdered products too. (Banana? Beet? Broccoli? I’m fascinated!)
Was this Podcast helpful? Click Here to Give us a Rating in iTunes!
Your reviews really matter – they help more people find us in iTunes and help us improve this Podcast!