Once Upon a Time…
In 2007, Chris had already been bartending for a couple of years and was starting to create his own drinks. It was around this time that he started reading Mixology books and looking online for Mixology training – only to find that there really wasn’t anything there. The following year he’d register “ABarAbove.com”, and it wouldn’t be until 2013 that I’d team up with him to create the A Bar Above site you see today.
In 2013 and 2014:
- We created (roughly): 100 videos and blog posts, 30 Podcast Episodes, and 23 Recipes.
- We designed, recorded and launched two Mixology training courses and a Cocktail Menu Service for Bars & Restaurants
- Chris worked with several spirits brands to create custom cocktails for their product launches, marketing materials and events.
- Chris and I both quit our jobs to work for A Bar Above full time
It was a lot of work, but as a result I like to think we’ve helped to make Craft Cocktails just a little bit more approachable for bartender and home enthusiasts.
So what’s the big news?
Starting in just a couple of days, Chris will be joining Barmetrix working full-time as one of their facilitators in the San Francisco area. He’ll be working alongside some of the best in the business to help launch the Diageo Business of Bars program and to help bars and restaurants improve their operations and run more smoothly.
Wait, What does this mean for A Bar Above?
Don’t worry, A Bar Above isn’t going anywhere!
This site was always intended to be place where bartenders & cocktail enthusiasts can learn to make great drinks – and that is not going to change.
There are a couple of things that will be changing:
- We’ll be creating videos every other week instead of every week – on the alternate weeks we’ll be publishing written content instead
- We will no longer be offering cocktail or bar consulting services
- We’re welcoming guest writers to contribute their articles and cocktails
Psst – Do you like to write and love Cocktails?
Come write for us! We’ll give you an Author byline and a link back to your blog or Social Media.
What do you think?
I am personally extremely excited to see A Bar Above “Grow Up” and think these changes will help us become a better and better resource for our community.
Got questions or thoughts? Let us know in the comments!